Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My personal experience of meeting strangers on the Net

In respond to Trinity's earlier post, gotta share a bit on Omegle.

Omegle is a website which offers you chances to talk to strangers around the world. When you click on Start a chat, another user at random will be picked by the system and then you can have a one-on-one chat with each other.

I was first introduced to Omegle by Trinity. She told me about how popular this website is in China as people use it to meet new friends and most importantly, to practise English. We were thinking about incorporating it into our wiki page. But before that, I suggested we ought to get on a trial before consdiering letting our students to use it.

In fact, it was my first time using website like this one to chat with strangers. But there got to be a first try. So... I started randomly chatting with strangers. The first two strangers were guys who weren't interested in chatting but only interested in asking about my personal information, wanted to get into even 'deeper' talk. Then, I quickly disconnected converstation with the two guys.

After playing around for 10 minutes, I was about to quit the site but I ended up giving one last chance to meet a 'more normal' person. I succeeded! I was randomly assigned to talk with a stranger from South Korea. South Korea has been one of my favourite cities, so that gave me extra motivation to chat with that stranger. She was an undergraduate studying English literature at uni. Bingo! Her major was similar to mine.We shared common liking about food and travelling. And now we've become friends on facebook.

By luck or whatever you call it, I have made a new Korean friend through Omegle. A friend that has a similar education background but different in cultures. A friend that we still get into contact on facebook. That's an interesting experience that I would tell my students.

But Trinity and I agreed not to introduce it to our students. The world is big, there isn't much people have a simple mind as we do, just hope to practise English on Omegle.

I would say, as an English teacher, we do take up an important role. We have the responsibility to protect our students from falling into traps on the Net.

Thanks to all teachers in the world.

6 comments:

  1. What a fascinating story! Maybe you had a little bit of luck but the fact is, you persevered until you found a suitable online friend after two failed attempts. I'm just guessing here but I bet the majority of users of Omegle are second language learners (of English) wanting to chat with similar people. I mean, if there are western native speakers of English out there who frequently log on and use the site I wonder what some of their intentions are (especially if they are males) apart from the fact that they may have a lot of spare time on their hands and may want to learn about 'foreign' cultures and foreign languages. Strangers that you might meet in daily life are no different from those that you might meet online - some are good and some are not so good. Your words are so true. We've got to protect our students from potential predators.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kiat is right, there are predators out there. There have been cases of men pouncing on young girls. Streaker Foomeister posted a bit about such a guy. http://thefoomeister.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2010-02-09T04%3A16%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=7 look for the bit labeled Jekyll and Hyde. I think to play with this web site you may be playing with fire...be warned !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, I am now chatting in OMEGLE now~ it is interesting but needs some luck. also~ I started with a disgusting guy~ what i need to do is throwing him into rubbish tin and start a new conversation~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, I also tried OMEGLE some days ago.I think it's really interesting for students to chat with people from all over the world as well as it will motivate students to practice written English via this channel.Amazing finding!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's certainly thrilling to read about your experience in this field...I had meet many people in line and it was a great experience to share with others common thoughts, ideas, opinions and many more ...but the question remains whether you going to meet them in person or not....whar sort of benefits are you going to get....Do you those chatters are realling telling factual things or a simple fabrication...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It seems all you guys have experience chatting on-line with strangers. I just not quite interested in on-line chatting, I think it is quite time-consumming and after all I think few people will tell the truth on-line. Better to communicate face-to-face with friends. May be I am too conservative, I don't encourage my students to engage in such on-line chatting, though it can help improve their spoken English, it seems too dangerous. Who can guarantee that they don't come out and meet each other after a few talks.

    ReplyDelete