Sunday, March 21, 2010

Evaluation on My Words

My Words is a user-friendly learning program. From installing it on to my computer to actual using it, it only took me less than 10 minutes. Besides, the short tutorial available on the website gives me a quick review on how I can make full use of the programme.


With the browser toolbar, users can click the buttons on the bar to add words to the personalized word list, and they can check new words by highlighting them on any website they are looking at. To learners of English, I find My Words can enhance learners’ learning experience, vocabulary learning in particular. Learners of English, most often the case, they will encounter new words while they are surfing the English websites. My Words saves up their time on checking dictionary since users can add words to the own lists with definition of the words, it also provides them a vast storage of words that enhances learning. From the trying out on this programme, I quite like the way that I can have my own word lists stored and that I can retrieve on when necessary. As learner of English, I find it vocabulary learning is one of the things that means a great deal to me. From my word list, it also includes word combinations so that I can know from the possible context of using different words. This is useful to learners of English.
However, I find it quite confusing using the translation support provided by My Words. I highlighted some of the lines while I was reading a piece of news on yahoo7. The Chinese translation turned out to be an inaccurate translation of Chinese. If users learnt the translation without checking the proper usage of the words, this would definitely affect their learning. It happens to many Chinese learners of English.
Besides, I find The visuwords, supported by My Words a bit complicated to understand. The visuwords, in a sense, helps learners since it shows the parts of speech, synonyms and etc. of the words. All that is crucial to vocabulary learning. However, the use of many different colours of arrows, shapes make learning way complex than expected.

4 comments:

  1. I rather liked the look of the junior version of My Words, I am sure that it would appeal to the younger learner. I did have issues with My Word on my home computer, I fear there may have been some compatibility issues. After installing it some very strange things happened. As a result I removed it. If I have more time I would like to try and evaluate it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think when I have more time I want to have another look at My Word, it looks like it could be just the thing for me. However at this stage I cannot risk losing this computer. I had a computer fall over at the end of last semester just when I was finishing off essays. I cannot afford that sort of trauma right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my, Gibble, your computer has been causing you a lot of trouble for quite some time, hasn't it? Have you backed up all your important files to an external hard drive?

    Anyway, I digress. Alice, I think all of us would love to see an online translation tool that consistently produces near-perfect translations of sentences from one language to another. I remember quite a number of years ago when I first started to use Altavista Babelfish my first impression was "Wow, this is so handy." But that winter, after my parents had received my New Year's greeting card which I had carefully written in Chinese with the aid of the online translation tool, I was taken aback when I realized that I had written complete gibberish. I don't think Altavista Babelfish is that much better today. If anybody can recommend a really good online English-Chinese sentence translation tool I would love to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Generally speaking, I found 'MY WORDS' is a multifunctional English learning sofeware that it offers several ways for English learners to practice English. At this case, it offers English learners on-line dictionary as well as on-line video and audio English learning. The most interesting part is the on-line English songs learning that it identifies learners' errors and make all the errors reflected in a English music video to aware students' mistakes.

    ReplyDelete